Sunday, November 22, 2009

Technology Applications Inventory and SETDA Survey

I found, through both the inventory and survey, that I have both strengths and weaknesses that will affect me as a principal or a technology leader on my campus. I now have an area of focus for staff developments to improve weak areas. The first assessment was the Technology Application Inventory. It contained four domains: foundations, information acquisition, solving problems and communication. I realized that I do not meet or exceed proficiency in any of the domains. I answered yes and no questions on the inventory for each domain. I responded yes to survey questions that I understood how to complete the task. There was not one area that I had more yes answers than no. In the foundations domain, I have the following strengths: I can work in a networked community (share files, applications and print) on a local or wide area network; I can perform basic software application functions including, but not limited to, creating, modifying, printing and saving files; and I can keyboard proficiently. The domain that I am least familiar with is information acquisition. I only responded that a strength was I understood how to use the Boolean search strategies because I learned this in a graduate school class. A weakness of mine is that I do not know how to locate and acquire information on LANs and WANs including the Internet and an intranet. I am not even sure what these terms represent. I will need to gain professional development in this area, as well as for the following: identify, create and use a variety of text files; understand the difference between and use appropriately vector graphic files and bitmapped graphic files and identify, create, and use image, audio and video files.

The second assessment was the SETDA survey. I use technology on a daily basis at home. Students benefit from the use of technology. McDonald Junior High collects data on ways to improve instruction in the classroom. The data has shown that technology is a way to engage students. Through this survey, I have found that one of my strengths is designing technology- supported learning experiences. Also, I do frequently use research to guide decision- making. Other strengths include using technology to manage student grades, regularly using technology to communicate with peers and using technology to increase my own productivity as a professional. However, I found that I need to improve on having students use the Internet as a way to communicate with others in or beyond the school. Also, students should be able to go to the computer lb more during my science class to create multi-media, Web or presentation products.

Teachers at our school do have a common mission that technology should be used to enhance learning.Long-Range Plan for Technology, 2006-2020 There are many areas that I must increase my knowledge so that I can correctly implement technology into the classroom. I will use staff development to strengthen my weaknesses.

Websites for the inventory and survey:

http://www.tea.state.tx.us/technology/techapp/assess/teksurv.pdf

http://www.setda-peti.org/tools.html


1 comment:

  1. Wow! Julie, you are on top of everything. I think your technology knowledge and skills are far better than what you believe you really have. The fact that you were able to manipulate this site effectively is tangible proof that you are a progressive school leader. I believe showing your students that you are capable of doing stuff such as this will encourage them to go beyond the four walls of your classroom and be more innovative and collaborative. Have you ever thought of giving your students an assignment like this one? I really want to encourage the teachers on my campus to take advantage of this great tool.

    ReplyDelete